Win a copy of ‘Healthy At Last’ – by Eric Adams!
Eric Adams’ new book tackles the widespread health problem of chronic disease in the African American community – and we have three copies to give away.
African Americans are heavier and sicker than any other group in the U.S., with nearly half of all Black adults suffering from some form of cardiovascular disease. After Eric Adams woke up with severe vision loss one day in 2016, he learned that he was one of the nearly 5 million Black people living with diabetes – and, according to his doctor, he would have it for the rest of his life.
A police officer for more than two decades, Adams was a connoisseur of the fast-food dollar menu. Like so many Americans with stressful jobs, the last thing he wanted to think about was eating healthfully. Fast food was easy, cheap, and comfortable. His diet followed him from the squad car to the state senate, and then to Brooklyn Borough Hall, where it finally caught up with him.
But Adams was not ready to become a statistic. There was a better option besides medication and shots of insulin: food. Within three months of adopting a plant-based diet, he lost 35 pounds, lowered his cholesterol by 30 points, restored his vision, and reversed his diabetes. Now he is on a mission to revolutionise the health of not just the borough of Brooklyn, but of African Americans across the country and around the world.
Armed with the hard science and real-life stories of those who have transformed their bodies by changing their diet, Adams shares the key steps for a healthy, active life. With this book, he shows readers how to avoid processed foods, cut down on salt, get more fibre, and substitute beef, chicken, pork, and dairy with delicious plant-based alternatives. In the process he explores the origins of soul food – cuisine deeply important to the Black community, but also one rooted in the horrors of slavery – and how it can be reimagined with healthy alternatives.
Healthy at Last features more than 50 recipes from celebrities and health experts, including Queen Afua, Jenné Claiborne, Bryant Jennings, Charity Morgan, Moby and Meat Free Monday’s very own Paul McCartney! Check out Eric Adams’ recipe for a deliciously healthy Three-Ingredient Ice Cream right here.
For your chance to win a copy of Healthy At Last, simply complete the form below. The prize draw closes at midnight (GMT) on Saturday 31 October, 2020.
*Terms and conditions
– To enter this competition please complete the online form above.
– You are entering a competition to win one of three copies of Healthy At Last by Eric Adams, published by Hay House.
– These prizes cannot be exchanged for any other prizes or cash.
– Only one entry per person permitted. All entrants must be over 18 years of age.
– Automated entries will not be accepted.
– The prize draw closes at midnight (GMT) on Saturday 31 October, 2020 and entries submitted after this date will not be considered.
– Three winners will be chosen from a random draw of entries received, to be performed by a random computer process. Each winner will receive one copy of Healthy At Last.
– The winners will be notified within five working days of the close of the prize draw via email.
– Each prize will be posted to the chosen winners by Hay House or Meat Free Monday using a standard untracked service to the postage address inserted above.
– This prize draw will be governed by English law and entrants to this prize draw submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
– Meat Free Monday shall use and take care of any personal information you supply to us.
– Promoter: Meat Free Monday Limited of 1 Soho Square, London W1D 3BQ (“Meat Free Monday”).
– Meat Free Monday shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations relating to this prize draw where such failure is caused by something outside of Meat Free Monday’s reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, without limitation, fire, acts of terrorism, weather conditions, flood, strike actions or other such industrial disturbances or disputes, acts of war, hostilities, political unrest, riots or civil disobedience or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
– Meat Free Monday reserves the right to substitute the prizes with other prizes of similar value in the event that the original prizes are not available.